CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Monday, May 6, 2013

Speak: A Review



It has been a long time since I've reviewed a book (unfortunately work life has become a major issue lately) but this one, I have to say something about. When I first heard about this book, it was my hairdresser who mentioned it. She said it was geared towards teens but definitely a books adults should read as well. I had no idea what she meant until I was about a quarter of a way into the book. 

I have six nieces - ages 22, 18, 18, 15, 14 and 8. The 18-year-old and the 14-year-old are heading to college and high school respectively and I would say that they should read this book but I'll leave that up to their mother to decide. 

Melinda Sordino used to be popular. She was just starting high school and had a group of friends including BFF Rachel/Rachelle. Then one summer party changed everything and she is now hated and ostracized by everyone. She loses her voice, figuratively, even with her own parents. Where she does find her voice is in art class. Using the tools at her disposal, she creates a symbol of pain using leftover turkey bones from a ruined Thanksgiving dinner. She also finds solace in an old janitor's closet at school where she works on her art project - a tree - and where she finally finds her voice again to SPEAK and be heard.

If this isn't required reading in high school, it should be.


0 comments: